Humber River Hospital’s new state-of-the-art acute care facility will be constructed on a block of approximately 30 acres at Keele Street and Highway 401 in northwest Toronto on the “MTO Downsview Campus”.
This project was the catalyst for the renewal of the entire MTO campus at Keele and the 401. The greening to take place along Wilson Ave. and the economic impact locally will be a big boost to a challenged community in Toronto. When completed, the new hospital will be approximately 1.8 million square feet.
Project highlights include:
- Increased capacity on opening from 549 to 656 beds, including 48 critical care beds to meet the needs of the growing surrounding community;
- Expanded emergency services to accommodate over 107,000 visits per year, complemented by an urgent care centre at the Finch Street Site that will provide care to another 30,000 visits per year;
- Expanded ambulatory services, including more capacity for cancer care; orthopedics; and geriatrics;
- Patient-centered care with 80% single patient rooms providing amenities for family members and helping prevent the spread of infections;
- Modern diagnostics equipment for detailed, accurate patient diagnosis and treatment; and
- Portals of care for easy access and less walking within the building
The Finch site will be renewed as an ambulatory care centre retaining emergency services with some expanded services, including dialysis and family health teams. The Church and Keele sites will both be closed.
Download our tour booklet that includes floor plans and details of how North America's first fully digital hospital will look and operate. Click here (PDF).